This evocative watercolour by the landscape artist George Balmer shows the devastation on the eastern side of the cloister.
We are looking south towards the ruins of St Stephen's. The cloister's upper storey has collapsed and the Perpendicular vaulting has been destroyed. To the left is the entrance to the oratory.
In building the new Palace of Westminster Charles Barry restored the damaged portions of the cloister.
Image © Parliamentary Art Collection, WOA 1278