This print by an unknown artist shows the ruined interior of St Stephen's Chapel looking east, from the floor of the upper chapel. Groups of sightseers were let in some days after the ruins were stabilised, and some hacked at the walls to remove parts of the stonework as souvenirs.
There are labourers removing burned wood and stone at the same time. The more enterprising made treen (small wooden items) and other objects out of the salvaged materials from the chapel, such as snuff boxes and wine coasters.
One dealer, Mr Doubleday of Museum Street in Bloomsbury, offered for sale watch fobs allegedly made from the melted lead roof of St Stephen's. They were cast in the shape of the seal of St Stephen's.
Parliamentary Art Collection, WOA 1594